5 Tips To Rock Your Engagement Session
It happened! You’re engaged! Best. News. Ever. And now, you are waist deep in wedding plans, making sure you’ve checked all your boxes and crossed everything off your list. So much to think about and so much to do before your most perfect day. But first, let’s talk about your engagement session! With a million things to think about, I’ve complied a list of my top 5 things that will make your engagement session AH-MAZING and you can get back to kicking some serious butt at this wedding planning stuff.
“When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.” ~When Harry Met Sally
- Pick an awesome location that screams YOU. Forget the park or that one place that your friends had their pictures taken that one time. Do you love the outdoors? Or the arcade, or the ice cream parlor? Do you love to see the movies together or go to the amusement park? Are you drawn to the ocean or hiking in the mountains? Pick something you love to do together and then pick a spot that shows that! Stumped for ideas? Ask your photographer! I know I always have an ongoing list saved on my phone with cool locations and fun photo spots. Your photographer is always happy to offer ideas based on your likes and dislikes. Plus, we can add suggestions for the best time of day for great lighting at those locations as well.
- Dress up! Save the jeans and matching sweaters for your Christmas cards. This shoot is your chance to feel amazing and look extra put together. Seriously, there is no such thing as too dressy. And what is a better occasion to get all dolled up than to celebrate that you are getting married?! Wear a dress or a skirt. Trust me on this one. There is no woman alive that doesn’t look absolutely gorgeous in one. Plus, if you’re somewhere outdoors, a long flowy dress or skirt can add some really fun movement and texture to create an added dramatic element for your images. And, if you wear heels?! Hello gorgeous legs. And, why should the girls have all the fun? Put your handsome guy in a suit. Or at the very least a nice pair of fitted dress pants and a nice button-down dress shirt or sweater. Cause, let’s be honest here, you know your man will look SUPER hot in a suit.
- Flowers. Who says they should be just for the wedding? Seriously, I love incorporating a beautiful bouquet or flower crown into an engagement session. It will add that extra little visual touch to your images and you’ll be so glad you had them. Plus, bonus points, it gives something for your hands to do! Hands are one of the biggest giveaway of uncomfortable posing. Often times couples are so worried about how their smile or hair looks that they don’t think about what to do with their hands. I always tell my couples, that for a photo to look natural, your hands have to have purpose. Whether touching each other or placing a hand in your pocket, it will polish your image in a way that nothing else will. And adding a bouquet just takes that all up a notch.
- Act natural. Forget those posed, both smiling big cheesy grins at the camera shots. Take a few of those at the end for your parents to ‘oooh and aww’ over and the rest of the time, play, tickle, laugh, cuddle, and breathe each other in. These images should capture your love and relationship, not how well you can smile on command. Trust me, you’ll love to see the way he smiles AT YOU rather than how he smiles at the camera.
- Ask your photographer for their opinion! Trust me, I LOVE it when my couples let me help style them and offer suggestions! It’s one of the best parts of my job. Not only are we photographers, but we do have to stay pretty up-to-date on the latest trends and styles and we spend HOURS scouring over all the newest and coolest in the photography world as far as location and lighting. We want to create something as equally awesome and unique as you do! This isn’t just my job, this is my art, my passion, my way of sharing something beautiful with you and the rest of the world. I want to create something equal parts jaw dropping and emotional. That is my jam. There is nothing more rewarding then seeing something in my head and then helping create it in real life.
By incorporating these 5 tips into your engagement session, you’re sure to rock it! You’ll not only have beautiful images at a location that symbolizes you and your love, you’ll look your absolute best and everyone will be able to feel the love you two have for each other. Plus, you’re sure to have an absolute blast in the process.
Thanks friends, hope your day is as rad as you are. xoxo
Want to learn more about scheduling your own AH-MAZING engagement session? Contact me HERE.
New to Dionne Kraus Photography? Learn all about my crazy self HERE.